Alaska Native Knowledge Network
Resources for compiling and exchanging information related to Alaska Native knowledge systems and ways of knowing.

ANKN Home About ANKN ANKN Publications Academic Programs Curriculum Resources Calendar of Events ANKN Listserv and Announcements ANKN Site Index
Picture of Alaska Native Knowledge Network
SPRINNT for teachers
from Alaska Native Knowledge Network - Thursday, 19 November 2009, 08:05 am

For more information, please contact Glen Schuster, gschuster@us-satellite.net.

==============================

There is an exceptional, no-fee opportunity for Alaska teachers to receive training and materials for SPRINTT.

1. Please apply/register
2. Take the online training (5-6 self-paced hours) and
3. Receive the materials.
4. Integrate SPRINTT into your curriculum

Start out by taking the TOUR at: http://www.us-satellite.net/sprintt Then "APPLY ONLINE" for this exciting no-fee curriculum program that is serving already 14 cities and villages in Alaska.

This offer for educators has a rolling admission and is available in December/January … Deadline to begin online training is January 5.

Glen Schuster, Project Director
NASA Endeavor Science Teaching Certificate Project
NSF-sponsored SPRINTT
U.S. Satellite Laboratory, Inc.
32 Elm Pl Rye, NY 10580

http://www.us-satellite.net/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We performed SPRINTT training at three sites in Alaska, with teacher participants from 14 cities or villages (mostly) all of whom are adopting the SPRINTT program in some way into instruction. Many will take it for graduate credit. Many more AK educators who serve AK native student populations will participate in the final training session online as the word spreads. This training with raw info below was onsite in Kotzebue last week where many flew in from remote villages --the others were in Anchorage and Fairbanks. A special moment for me was sharing the new book and investigations with a group of 24 Alaska Native students in the Grade 7 class in Kotzebue beginning the project. The intense focus they had spawned questions from each child. They were so concerned about their community and really liked the fact their input and indigenous ways of knowing is valued by others in the lower 48.
I highlighted one question below that I find interesting. I will share the new curriculum now-bound “book” with you. Maybe someday I can take you to a SPRINTT class in AK -Glen

What was the most important thing you learned in the training?

I learned that we can use the material we learned to help students learn through an interactive website.
The idea of leading students to strong data-based conclusions with step-by-step information and thoughtful questioning strategies.
How to implement the program into my science class
How to use the book and the website for SPRINTT.
How to use a great resource
Regionally relevant material and data. Friendly presentation and intuitive program.
That the integration of indigenous and classical scientific research is possible and makes these topics relevant to my students.
That this program exists.
Incorporating climate change into the curriculum here in the Arctic.
Learned about how the students are able to do their own research paper.

Please describe how you will use SPRINTT in your classroom. What curriculum/textbook information will you replace? What parts will be an 'add on' to your current curriculum?

I would like to use most if not all of the topics that SPRINTT covers. Students will learn much better though these interactive materials than simply using a textbook.
For 5th grade I'm looking forward to the Food Web investigation, but my explorations so far in the Changing Ice/Walrus investigation are definitely something I can use this year in 5th grade. We study food webs and weather in the 5th grade and these investigations could replace those areas of our curriculum.
I would use this the last couple of months in my class. It will replace my Physical Earth Science textbook.
I will use it and add on as I go.
I will use it as stand alone units
Smart board friendly thus presentation can be made to ‘whole’ class. Students met with Glen Schuster during their class period and were quickly motivated by the relevancy of the material.
I will not replace so much as just add to my curriculum and enhance the materials I all ready cover. I would also be interested in having my students use this materials and their research to create a technology based science fair project
I only teach biology classes. While most everything in this program is connected to biology it is not focused enough on specific state Grade Level Expectations for Life Sciences to be useful to me. That being said, I may use the sections on changes in the tree line and changes in food sources for reindeer to replace the ecology sections of my biology classes. I would implement huge portions of this program if I was teaching Earth Science.
I will use it in the Earth Science portion of my science curriculum.
I will be using the research paper aspect of the program. I will also be using some of the native perspectives and stories to incorporate into my language arts courses.

What was the best aspect of the training?

Learning that there is a good resource out there that our district approves that will get kids to learn. Kids love using their computers so they will love using this interactive webpage.
The best aspect of the training was being able to go into the program, explore on our own as both a student and as a teacher. The Phase I Classroom Activities manual looks like an excellent tool.
We walked through the entire Phase 1 of the curriculum.
Doing the student lesson on walrus and sea ice.
The co-relation between the book and the web site
Pace was good and material and intuitive and was up-to-date.
The diversity of the activities and the integrated indigenous perspective in the material.
It is very relevant to our area and our kids here on the coast of Alaska above the Arctic Circle.
The sharing of ideas with other teachers.
Learning of the incorporation of the native perspective.

Please rate your understanding of how to use authentic data in the classroom before and after the training. Notice the 7-9s!

Before SPRINTT Training = 5; After SPRINTT Training = 8
Before SPRINTT Training = 6; After SPRINTT Training = 9
Before SPRINTT Training = 5; After SPRINTT Training = 8
[No Answer Entered]
Before SPRINTT Training = 8; After SPRINTT Training = 9
Before SPRINTT Training = 6; After SPRINTT Training = 9
Before SPRINTT Training = 6; After SPRINTT Training = 8
Before SPRINTT Training = 7; After SPRINTT Training = 8
Before SPRINTT Training = 6; After SPRINTT Training = 7
Before SPRINTT Training = 4; After SPRINTT Training = 8

How do you see students' experiences with this curriculum helping them to understand 'real world issues'?

The real world issues are tied right into the lessons through the interview with local Alaskan people. It does not hit much more closer to home than that.
I think my 5th graders will gain a broader perspective of the global view and an appreciation of how the rest of the world is watching OUR region for important changes. Being native to the area of study, I think they might be too close to the situation to really appreciate how important it is to the whole planet. This will help them pull back and see the BIG picture.
The students are able to see maps and how the maps change over time to actually see the glaciers melting
By actually seeing how the data relates
Greatly improved
They will be immersed in these issues and see native perspectives on many of the issues which will allow them to take ownership for these topics now and later in their educational careers.
It seems like this program would be very good at teaching kids to look at data to derive meaning from it.
The exposure to the data may make them more aware of the process of climate change.
They will be able to learn about something about their own underground backyard. They will be able to better analyze and read graphs, data table.

Please share any other comments about the SPRINTT curricular materials or training.
Most of the interviews were conducted on St. Lawrence Island. Maybe expand and interview and interact with people from all over Alaska.
This is a user-friendly, easily accessible web resource that I'm looking forward to using with my students and sharing with my colleagues.
Very good presentation

Program is easy and intuitive with the added feature the material relevant to our future. Instructor was knowledgeable and could have taken more time to present the material if allowed. This training should focus on teachers that work at schools where there is an integrated science curriculum. Useful to me would be a list of biology specific lessons that are organized by both grade level and state Grade Level

Go to University of Alaska The University of Alaska Fairbanks is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, educational institution and provider is a part of the University of Alaska system. Learn more about UA's notice of nondiscriminitation.